Last weekend when my kids were sleeping, I had one of these ideas that kept my mind running full steam for every hour I was not baking cookies with my daughter or playing tennis with my son, or many of my happy dad duties.
It was a serendipity moment. I was kindly invited by my friends at Unicredit to give a small speech in their Lab, of the (very) few – if not the only – Fintech Start-up initiatives of my beloved Italy.
Then, I thought about other cities I lived in, like Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam and realised that London has become today the only reference for Fintech in Europe, despite the fact that many other countries have the financial eco-system well developed, with large institutions and clearly the potential to take part of the Fintech wave (see my other post about waves, if you are interested).
So I decided to give it a try : http://fintechstage.com/
I have a couple of partners in crime for this, one being Lazaro Campos, former SWIFT CEO, now advisor, investor and strategy consultant for nation-wide payments projects. Him and I go back to the genesis of both swiftcommunity.net and Innotribe, back then he was mostly protecting us – the misfits – from being devoured by the politics and the resistance to change of the company we were both working for, and now he is – finally, if I may say – the most precious ally in bringing innovation in the financial world.
The other partner in crime is Mariela Atanassova, formerly Innotribe co-founder, not only one of the brightest friends I have, but with no doubts the best possible reference in events design. Mela and I will commit to deliver to FintechStage the best possible structured networking experience in a conference.
Back to FintechStage.com now.
By the time this post will be published, you should have some more info about the content and the objective of this event, the first of its kind and certainly not the only one taking place in 2015. We choose Milan, and a very important date to me.
What I will try to do is make you part of the genesis of this project, with updates through my blog, and transparently share what the progresses are.
I am writing this on a Sunday morning, and this is not me switching jobs : SBT Venture Capital will remain my main and only activity.
Few highlights :
- Dates : March 30th and 31st 2015, in Milan
- Location : confirmed soon, but the couple of alternatives I have found are awesome
- Audience of the event : Fintech Start-ups, Investors, Financial Institutions mainly, and every other person passionate about innovation in Fintech
- It’s a Designed Networking event. You will come in knowing exactly who you should absolutely meet to make your time fruitful
- Many awesome speakers, moderators, innovators and start-ups obviously
- Nobody stays alone on stage for more than 7 minutes
- There will be a Crash course for start-ups about Term Sheet negotiation, closing a deal, business model canvas and investor pitch
- The first day, we will run three parallel streams, for start-ups, Investors and Innovators, and the second day plenary sessions including start-up pitches, panels and power talks
- Every stream will be designed and aimed to no-bullshit dialogue, dealing with issues that are compelling for the related audience. We will make sure to have the right instigators for that.
There are 120 seats available, I wanted to keep it small to leverage the networking aspect of the event.
I am not running this event for profit, but want to cover expenses of course, so there will be a (very) reasonable entry fee, including a very cheap one for start-ups (100 EUR for start-ups, for example, but big time worthwhile the time they will spend with seasoned CFOs and Investors to learn how to deal with all aspects of raising capital).
I am looking for sponsors as well, and will update you on this. The current idea is that Venture Capitalists will be able to bring up to two start-ups of their portfolio on stage to pitch to the entire audience, and have quality 1:1 meetings afterwards.
The money raised will be used as well to reimburse T&E for speakers, I have been one of them may times and it feels right to do it.
Right now, the only thing I can tell is : leave us your email on www.fintechstage .com, save the date in your calendar and we will send all the required info on January 1st 2015.
Yesterday I did send some SMS asking some of my Fintech friends to save the date and these are the ones who confirmed their presence already.
It’s only the first batch :
- Gustavo Vinacua, Head of Innovation and Opentalent program, BBVA
- Pascal Bouvier, Partner, Route66 Ventures
- Manuel Silva, Partner, BBVA Ventures
- Matthias Kroener, CEO and co-founder, Fidor Bank
- Kosta Peric, Deputy Director, Financial Services, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Mircea Mihaescu, Partner, SBT Venture Capital
- Nektarios Liolios, Co-Founder, Fintech Bootcamp
- Peter Venderauwera, Co-Founder, Innotribe
- Leda Glyptis, Vice President, Global Innovationm BNY Mellon
- Juan Llaneza, SVP Business Development, FJORD
- Claire Calmejane, Head of Digital Centre of Excellence and Innovation labs
- Julio Faura, Head of R&D and Innovation, Santander
- Dan Marovitz, CEO, F1000
- Samarth Serkar, Founder, Fintech DACH Forum
- Steve Pulley, Global Head of Industry Solutions and Partners, Thomson Reuters
The vision is to make FintechStage.com the reference for Fintech networking events in the world. Simple (not the start-up, the concept)